Math is one area of human knowledge,
based on absolute truth and total predictability.
|Given the proper guidance,
any student can become good in math.
The essential keys that will determine
the success of any student in math are
- In grades 1 and 2, students must acquire the basic skills of addition,
division, multiplication and division. These are the founding blocks of their
future ability to handle more complex concepts.
- Whenever students are exposed to a new concept in math, they must be provided
with the understanding of the logic behind the concept. If the explanation is
inadequate, so is their comprehension and their performance.
- They must have a full understanding of the concept they are being taught,
prior to proceeding to learn a more complex one. A gap in their
understanding will constitute a gap in the foundation of their mathematical
knowledge and prowess.
- All students must have adequate practice. Common sense dictates that no matter
what new task we may be attempting, doing it over and over will result in better
performance. Only comprehension AND practice will ensure students' success.
- Ultimately, the key to success of any student is their level of self-confidence.
Only by having successfully completed prior tasks, time and time again,
will they reach the self-confidence required to proceed to more difficult